In a change from last year’s podcast-draft, the 2014 review comes in the form of Power Rankings:
1. The Around The League Podcast – Move over Dave, there’s a new sheriff (or team of sheriffs) in town: This pod has been launched since the last rankings, and has become my new favourite! Three times a week the ATL’s room full of heroes (Dan Hanzus, Marc Sessler, Chris Wesseling and Greg Rosenthall) bring you every item of news you’ll ever need, plus game reviews (on a Sunday night/Monday morning!) and comment, all with a huge slice of mirth. It’s always a joy when a new episode lands in my Stitcher tray.
2. The Dave Dameshek Football Program – Another great option from NFL Network, the DDFP brings an excellent mixture of football talk and everything but! Dave is ably aided by Adam Rank, Handsome Hank and Black Tie (when he’s not trying to keep episodes below a “tight 45”, so Fire Black Tie if you prefer).
The main reason this previous #1 is no longer occupying that slot is that it comes out less frequently – coming out only one or twice per week. “Come on playa, what’s up with dat?!”
3. The Rich Eisen Podcast – Moving up since last year is Rich Eisen’s brand of football-meets-pop-culture-meets-celebrity. A very good all round podcast with great in-depth interviews and a whole host of opinion. No wig is too big to be on this pod! Richs’ two Chris-es (Brockman and Law also produce epic montage podcasts during NFL down periods). The big bonus here is that his podcasts can run over the 2-hour mark!
4. NFL Fantasy Live – A must listen for anyone playing fantasy football. The daily (Mon-Fri) podcast will keep you up to date with, if not ahead of, the fantasy landscape in the NFL. If I had listened to and acted on more of their advice sooner then I would’ve won more the one league last season!
5. UK EndZone Football Program – This has fast become my favourite podcast based on this side of the pond. Thomas Moore and Ollie Connelly do a superb job of hosting the UKEZ, which includes all the week’s NFL-news as well as all the week’s not-news. These two are aided by featured slots with Robbo in the Field and Neil Dutton who both add to the detailed discussion of all things American Football. My only bugbear is that Mr Moore has his own special way of reading my Twitter handle believing that I’m a fan of the band with such hits as Take On Me (…maybe try @not-only-a-hat-rack).
6. College Football 24-7 – The more you follow the NFL the more you’ll be interested in who will be available for drafting come April-time, and investment here means that when that time rolls round you’ll find that you’re already up to speed. This pod is hosted by two of the best voices in the business (Matt-Money-Smith & Bucky Brooks), not to mention the addition of super-scout Daniel Jeremiah; this is a joy to listen to.
7. Tuesday Morning Football – Falling since last year are the TMF boys. Nothing to fault the content whatsoever from these 2 die-hard fans, plus Olly, but it’s the at times sporadic nature of the pod that’s hurt them.. A solid listen from this UK based podcast! Will Gavin / James Dixon / Olly Hunter
8. Over that Cap – Wondering about everything salary cap related? Well look no further. Expect detailed breakdowns of contracts and cap situations, which really does help to explain some of the mentalities behind certain financial decisions in the NFL. Jason_OTC
9. Mainz and Dutton Discuss Football – A fantasy football & betting podcast in one – your one-stop shop for being competitive when it comes to both beating your mates or beating the bookies. Neil Dutton makes his second appearance on the list, together with his mate Mainzey provide a great overview of the week’s action in their two respective areas.
10. Ross Tucker Football Podcast – From the point of view of an ex-player, the Ross Tucker Football Podcast provides a unique and regular insight into the mind and mentality of NFL players (and in particular O-Linemen). This comes out a very healthy 3 times per week and is never short of quality content.
11. Fantasy Feast: Eatin’ – Another podcast from Ross Tucker‘s podcast stable… Coming at fantasy football from the point of view of newbie is quite refreshing. Not assuming that everyone already knows everything means that no one is left out. All the advice rings true for whatever level of player you are, and a reminder of the key points and some of the intricacies of the game will never hurt anyone. If you’re starting to play yourself, just need a refresher, or really need a helping hand on getting better then Fantasy Feast: Eatin’ is a great option.
Ohh, and watch out for a 3rd offering, Even Money, a betting/gambling podcast, coming soon.
12. Zone Coverage Football Show – The UK’s first NFL phone-in show, and a it’s made a solid start. There’s only been 1 episode so far, but from the sounds of things this could well jump up the rankings when things kick themselves off. ZoneCoverageFS
13. BoltTalk – If you’re a Chargers fan this is the podcast to fill your needs. Two great, knowledgeable hosts conduct a ~weekly discussion via Skype from opposite coast of the states. Nothing is left out/overlooked and with a good community spirit behind it, is a solid pick for fans of San Diego. Ray Chan / Loren Casuto
15. The Coaches Show Podcast – For the best dissection of every game from the weekend Coach Brian Billick is the man to turn to. Great perspective during the season, just a shame we can’t keep him on microphone the whole year round. Last season the man on the other mic was Mooch, but nothing is certain in this business.
There are other podcast options out there, just not ones that I listen to right now, but this are my tried and tested selection. My main piece of advice would be to try to listen to as many of these as you can fit into your schedule.